There are quite a few assumptions that SFBT therapy takes towards you, these include;
- Understanding the cause of the problem is not necessary to be able to resolve it, trying to do this can lengthen and or complicate things.
- No matter what the severity of the problem, there are always instances when it is absent, less severe and/or intense. An SFBT therapist in Birmingham can help to identify and amplify this change
- Clients have access to resources and strengths which may resolve the complaint.
- Clear, salient and realistic goals are essential to a successful outcome.
- A small change can make a big difference, change in one part of the system, can make a change in another part
- Rapid change is possible even with cases where the problem has been persistent in the past
- Each client is unique in themselves, and in the way in which they view their problems, there is no one size fits all solution
SFBT therapy is a short-term therapy, used to help you to realise your problems/issues and find a positive way forward, there isn’t much focus on the issue at hand, an emphasis is placed on looking towards the future and finding a way achieve your goal. The therapy focuses on your strengths, instead of focusing on problems and/or failures. With this therapy, it is believed and understood that it shouldn’t be prolonged over a long period of time.
SFBT can be and usually is provided as part of other counselling approaches.