Solution Focused Brief Therapy approach
Therapeutic SFBT approach
There are quite a few assumptions that brief therapy takes towards you, these include;
– Understanding the cause of the problem is not necessary to be able to resolve it, trying to do this can lengthen and or complicate things.
– No matter what the severity of the problem, there are always instances when it is absent, less severe and/or intense. The Counsellor can help to identify and amplify this change
– Clients have access to resources and strengths which may resolve the complaint.
– Clear, salient and realistic goals are essential to a successful outcome.
– A small change can make a big difference, change in one part of the system, can make change in another part
– Rapid change is possible even with cases where the problem has been persistent in the past
– Each client is unique in themselves, and in the way in which they view their problems, there is no one size fits all solution
Solution focused based therapy is short term therapy, used to help you to realise your problems/issues and find a positive way forward, there isn’t much focus on the issue at hand, emphasis is placed on looking towards the future and finding a way achieve your goal. The therapy focuses on your strengths, instead of focussing on problems and/or failures. With this therapy it is believed and understood that it shouldn’t be prolonged over a long period of time.